After a long and successful career as partner at a local law firm, Gordon Conley joined the firm in January 2007. Gord was called to the bar in April 1984. He received a Bachelor of Laws degree in 1982 from the University of Windsor and holds a Bachelor of Arts from the University of Windsor.
Areas of Practice
Gord is a highly respected counsel and practices with an emphasis in the areas of commercial and construction lien litigation. He also has years of experience in real estate, estate and corporate and commercial law.
- Gord began his practice in 1984 with a local sole practitioner, then went out on his own in October 1985 and practiced as a sole practitioner until the summer of 1993 when he joined the firm of Evans Bragagnolo & Sullivan LLP as a partner.
- Gord is the standing agent for the Federal Government pursuant to which he oversees the prosecution of all federal offences in the Districts of Cochrane and Temiskaming and personally prosecutes many of the larger and more complicated matters.
- Gord has had great success over the years in litigating both civil and criminal matters. In 1996 he was counsel of record in a very large and complicated personal injury claim, which resulted in a multimillion dollar jury award to his client.
- In 1997-98 he prosecuted a major case under the Fisheries Act, which resulted in convictions and significant sentences against an engineering firm, a contractor and the Department of Indian and Northern Affairs Canada. A conviction against a department of the Federal Government was, certainly at that time, almost unheard of.
- Gord has acted for small and large companies and businesses including a major contractor in successfully defending them with respect to charges under the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
- Gord is a member of the Ontario Bar Association, the Canadian Bar Association, member of the Cochrane Law Association and the Law Society of Upper Canada
- Gord is committed to his family and his clients and has a long history of commitment to his community. He has served as a trustee with the Timmins Board of Education, was a member of the board of directors with the Timmins Chamber of Commerce, sat as a member of the Spruce Hill Lodge Retirement Home board of directors and the Schumacher Revitalization Committee (a community project for the revitalization of part of the City of Timmins).
- He is currently the chairman of the Board of directors for the Canadain Mental health Assocaition Cochrane- Temiskaming branch
- Gord proudly served as a volunteer firefighter for 19 years.
- He has been involved with minor hockey as a coach, executive member and referee for more than 25 years.
- He was a member of the organizing committee of the 1999 Ontario Special Olympics Winter Games, held in Timmins.
- Gord was president of the Cochrane Law Association for seven years.
- He is a director with the Cochrane Temiskaming Poverty Law Clinic, a member of the Area Committee for legal aid and a director of the Father Les Costello Foundation, a foundation which raises money for other charitable organizations with an emphasis on assisting organizations which assist the poor.
- Gord and wife Joanna believe they have a responsibility to take an active role in helping those in need and to make the community a better place to live and work.